Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Penny Lab

I experimented with a penny, a water droplet, and water. First I set the penny on a flat surface. Then I put water in the water droplet and dropped water droplets from the water droplet on to the penny trying to get the most drops of water on the penny without having the water come off the penny. I predicted I would drop four drops of water and it would bleed of the penny. Unlike my prediction the penny held 16 drops of water. The penny held the all the water and the water stuck together because of capillary action which is caused by the forces of adhesion and cohesion. The force of adhesion caused the water stick to the penny because the water molecules attract and stick to other substances. The force of cohesion caused the water molecules to stay together because they are so close together.

No comments: